AILACTD-L Archives

May 2018

AILACTD-L@HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
Pete Facione <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AILACT DISCUSSION LIST <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2018 16:43:50 +0000
I agree, Paul.  Too often we confuse the reflective process of forming an informed, fair-minded, well-reasoned judgment about what to do or what to believe with our purpose in doing so.  In politics, business, and academia some of the best minds engage in strong critical thinking to solve problems and to make decisions, but in some cases those problems include how to manipulate others and those decisions may be about how to get away with acting unethically or illegally. While in others cases, obviously, those problems may be about to assist others and those decisions may be how to act ethically in difficult and uncertain situations.   What we do (think critically) and why we do it (to cure cancer, to mentor a students, to plan strategically, to manipulate the electorate) differ.

Permit me to recommend an outstanding book on leadership and critical thinking: James Comey's "A Higher Loyalty: Truth, Lies, and Leadership."  We do not need to agree with his analysis of every problem, nor with the choices he may have made in all cases, but a reader can sure see the real world critical thinking that went into addresses those about problems and making decisions. As an author, Comey is able to explain his thinking in a highly readable and accessible way.  And the problems being addressed were non-trivial.

All the best to everyone,

Pete

Peter A. Facione, PhD
www.measuredreasons.com