HCJ-L Archives

April 2007

HCJ-L@HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
"Bernard L. Stein" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2007 09:51:31 -0400
I put the question to Jeff Jarvis, the Internet savant at CUNY's new graduate school of journalism. Here's his answer.
Bernard L. Stein

"I hate to make blogs the cure for the common cold but...

"Blog software is the easiest content-mangement and publishing system ever made. I would use a blog as a means of presenting portfolio work. I don't mean that the work needs to be surrounding by blog writing.
One may just use a blog to publish your work.

"At the simplest level, this allows one to link to any work you've done anywhere else (including clips on mainstream sites, files on CUNY servers, PDFs on your own server, etc.).

"WordPress also brings the ability to publish pages, not just blog posts. So you may take an article and put it on a WordPress page and then link to that from the blog.

"Video can be posted to services such as Blip.tv or YouTube.com and then embedded in the blog. Or one may link to video files on a server to be played. (I'd recommend the former; it's so much easier for all.)

Sandeep [Junnarkar, who teaches the interactive classes] and I are recommending to students that they get their own domain for their portfolios and that they establish an account to get blog software. One may use a free service such as Blogger.com, or paid and hosted services such as WordPress.com and TypePad.com. Those are all easy (I'd recommend WordPress among them). To ratchet this up a bit, I've recommended a very cheap hosting service, A Small Orange, where one can get one's own account on a server for $25 a year; this
then enables the ability to put files on a server once they're taken off a university server."