ICIT-ANNOUNCE-L Archives

August 2007

ICIT-ANNOUNCE-L@HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
Frank Steen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Frank Steen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2007 12:07:32 -0400
We have not heard of any valid complaints about the Blacklist quarantine trapping
legitimate email. Therefore we plan to move on to step two of our Blacklist strategy, noted
two weeks ago, which will reduce the Mailguard digests by blocking IP addresses that are
on the Blacklists from sending mail to recipients at Hunter.

The effect on users will be:
- Email sent from Real-time BlackList IP addresses will not be accepted by HC Mailguard
(Proofpoint). Hunter recipients will receive no notice, and no information in digests.
- Sending server will receive an error message with SMTP return code of 550 and the text
"5.7.0 Local Policy Violation". This would alert a system admin at the sending site of a
rejection.
- Because Blacklist email is rejected before other anti-spam measures, such email will no
longer appear in HC Mailguard digests, making the digests smaller.

We plan to implement step two on Wednesday morning at 10am. This would be two weeks
after implementing step one.