ICIT-ANNOUNCE-L Archives

February 2008

ICIT-ANNOUNCE-L@HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
Frank Steen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Frank Steen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2008 06:40:38 -0500
Below is my message from last November concerning the changes in our spam
filtering. Phase two was implemented as announced on Tuesday. We await
feedback. If there are no problems to report, we plan to implement phase
three on February 26th as planned. The contact for reports of problems are:

[log in to unmask] or via phone at the ICIT Helpdesk, 212-772-4357

______________November 26, 2007 message_______________________________
Spam remains a problem on the Internet and much of that spam comes from
rogue email servers--often computers unwittingly infected with rogue
software. ICIT plans to implement important email spam filtering changes to
further reduce the amount of email spam that is received by Hunter email
users. These changes (called SMTP Rate Control) should not affect any email
from legitimate sources, but HC Mailguard will begin to block email from
servers that send excessive amounts of spam. The implementation will be in
phases to allow time for email administrators to respond to increased email
security.
PHASE ONE: December 6, 2007. Email sent from servers that send 100% spam
will be rejected by HC Mailguard.
*PHASE TWO: February 19, 2008. Email sent from servers that send 95% spam*
*will be rejected by HC Mailguard.*
PHASE THREE: February 26, 2008. Email sent from servers that send 75% spam
will be accepted by HC Mailguard, but at a much slower rate than usual.

A more detailed description of these changes is being sent to known Lab and
LAN administrators. If you know of someone in your department running an
application or server that sends email, and they would like details, have
them contact us via [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or via phone at the ICIT Helpdesk.