ICIT-ANNOUNCE-L Archives

August 2007

ICIT-ANNOUNCE-L@HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
Frank Steen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Frank Steen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2007 21:55:33 -0400
CUNY CIS announced this evening that tomorrow, Thursday, August 30, at 10:00 am, they
will be forced to remove the older content from the Blackboard site. Only content that has
already been archived will be removed. It appears that the removal will cover the terms
from Spring 2004 through Spring 2006. All of this content has been archived and will be
moved to our Hunter servers shortly. The CIS announcement made it clear that
Blackboard storage has reached dangerous proportions and any significant additional
storage would endanger Blackboard operation. ICIT staff will work with faculty who need
to access the archived information. Below is the text of the CUNY CIS announcement.

------------------------Sent 5:05 pm. Wednesday August 29, 2007------------------------
Tomorrow morning at 10:00 A.M. CIS will begin removing archived content
from our Blackboard environment.  We are starting this process prior to
distributing archives to all colleges, as previously planned, because
Blackboard is encountering a critical space shortage.  Deleting the
archived content will resolve this issue.

Please remind your Blackboard administrators and IT support staff that CIS
has been waiting for access to campus file servers so these archived files
can be transmitted via a secure FTP process. We were expecting to do this
before space became an issue - but we are now at a point where we need to
remove these archived files immediately. Some of the colleges have provided
this information - most have not.

Blackboard file system utilization is currently at 94%.  If usage reaches
98%, CIS will execute a controlled shutdown of Blackboard to avoid database
corruption.  We do not anticipate that a shutdown will be necessary.