NFS-L Archives

March 2015

NFS-L@HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
Arlene Spark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 2015 18:55:32 +0000
________________________________
From: Margo Wootan [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, March 09, 2015 1:48 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: WHO unveils nutrient profiling to restrict marketing to kids

I had a chance to take a close look at the WHO nutrition standards for food marketing to children : http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/270716/Nutrient-Profile-Model.pdf?ua=1

Their model is based on the voluntary systems in Norway and Denmark. We've not yet run food marketed in the US through the model (which would be a terrific project, if anyone has a grad student or intern, we'd welcome the chance to work with you on that), but from analyzing the standards, there appear to be ways that the WHO approach is both stronger and weaker than Children's Food and Beverage Advertising Initiative's standards. WHO is stronger in that it's approach:
* does not allow any marketing of candy, sweet baked good, juices, energy drinks, and ice creams/frozen desserts. This is a stronger approach than setting nutrition standards for snacks, for example, and hoping to keep most cookies out
* the sugar standard for cereal is strong (about 4 g of total sugar per ounce of cereal)

It is weaker in that it:
* does not have positive nutritional value criteria. For example, there is no whole grain standard for cereal, bread, or other grains
* there are no sat fat or calorie standards for salty snack foods, processed meat, or cheese

I'd be interested to hear what others think. These might be useful as we urge companies and CFBAI to strengthen their nutrition standards. CFBAI plans to review its uniform nutrition criteria after the Dietary Guidelines are out later this year, which will provide an important opportunity to urge them to strengthen them.

Margo G. Wootan, D.Sc.
Director, Nutrition Policy
Center for Science in the Public Interest
1220 L Street, NW, Suite 300
Washington, D.C. 20005
202-777-8354
202-265-4954 (fax)