PREMEDINFO-L Archives

October 2008, Week 5

From:
"L.Wood-Hill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
L.Wood-Hill
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 2008 15:12:38 -0400
Please send all replies and inquiries to:

Dear Members of the Hunter College Community,

I am looking for students to volunteer to introduce several high school
students to the
college experience and the benefits of college. These students will attend
your classes
and no additional commitment is necessary. If you or someone you know is
interested,
please read on (or encourage that individual to read on). Please send all
replies to
[log in to unmask]  . Otherwise, thank you all in advance for your time.

Thank you,
Alex Kohen
Hunter College, Class of 2009

The Basic Info:
A Teach for America teacher working in a school in the Bronx wants her 11th
Grade
students to be exposed to the "benefits" of college, in order to encourage
them to apply.
Instead of attending class, she wants to pair one of her students up with a
Hunter
student. So if you are interested in potentially shaping someone's life in a
positive way,
let me (Alex Kohen, MHC at HC, '09) know.

The kids would be on campus the week of November 17th - 21st. You would be
asked to
take them to ALL of your classes that week (which means you should check
with your
teachers at some points) and maybe a few other activities. Everything would
be based on
your schedule and availability. A lot of the details still have to be worked
out and will
depend on your schedules. If you want to do this, read below the next
section. Do NOT
worry if you think you have a strange schedule or that you only have classes
on certain
days. You MAY not be selected but I encourage you to reply nonetheless so
that we may
consider you for pairing with a high school student.

WHETHER OR NOT YOU WANT TO DO THIS:
Whether or not you want to do this, please let me know if there is anyone
you think
would be especially interested and good for this. Don't tell them btu just
forward the e-
mail on if it is okay for me to contact that person. Also, the teacher would
ideally like
people from the Bronx, if possible, so if you know people from the Bronx,
definitely let
me know.

IF YOU WANT TO DO THIS:
Please reply ASAP! Give me as much information as possible and, to make my
life easier,
just respond to the form below:

Name:
E-Mail:
Phone #:
Year:
Major(s):
Minor:
GPA: (if you don't mind telling me)
High School and HS Location:
Where you live (if dorms, list dorm and home borough, etc.):
Schedule for week of November 17th:
Post-graduate ambitions:

Thanks Everyone!