PREMEDINFO-L Archives

January 2011, Week 2

From:
Kelly Gentry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2011 09:44:37 -0500
Contact: 646.962.4968, (f)646.962.0259, [log in to unmask]
Web: http://www.nyc.gov/html/hhc/lincoln/html/home/home.shtml

Heads Up! Pediatric Literacy Program at Lincoln Hospital
234 E 149th street
New York, NY 10451

Description: The Heads Up! Pediatric Literacy Program is looking for college volunteers who would be able to staff the reading room in our outpatient clinic.  Volunteers would need to commit to regular 2-4 hour shifts, either once a week, once every 2 weeks, or once a month.  Their duties would include reading to children, leading literacy related activities, and giving parents in the clinic informational material on the importance of reading to their children from a young age.  There is a great deal of patient contact, as well as leadership opportunities.  Currently we are expanding our reading room to operate in the afternoons as well as mornings, so we are looking for a number of interested students.  Students will always staff the reading room in groups of two to three.

Position Requirements: Students must be reliable and able to come in at a set time for the whole semester. If they foresee a time when they will be unable to come at their usual time, they must alert their supervisor or make other arrangements with other volunteers to cover their spot. Applicants must have good social skills and patience, and love for children is a must.  Proficiency in Spanish is very helpful, but not required.  Summer opportunities are also available.

Application Process: All students can contact the Heads Up! coordinator at [log in to unmask], or call 646.962.4968 to schedule an interview.  After the interview, selected students will go through the process of becoming volunteers at Lincoln Hospital.  This requires a background check, a brief physical exam, a drug test, and a PPD test.  These protocols are set in place since students will have direct contact with patients.  Valerie Miles of the Child Life Program at Lincoln, who is the supervisor of the reading room, oversees and coordinates the volunteer approval of each student.