PREMEDINFO-L Archives

September 2011, Week 3

From:
Kelly Gentry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Sep 2011 08:41:25 -0400
Did you know...

Childhood obesity has more than tripled in the U.S. in the past 30 years.

In 2008, more than one third of children and adolescents in the U.S. were overweight or obese.

Obese youth are more likely to have risk factors for cardiovascular disease, such as high cholesterol or high blood pressure, are more likely to have prediabetes, are at greater risk for bone and joint problems, sleep apnea, and social and psychological problems such as stigmatization and poor self-esteem.

Children and adolescents who are obese are likely to be obese as adults and are therefore more at risk for adult health problems such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes, stroke, several types of cancer, and osteoarthritis.

Apply to become apart of Weill Cornell's MAChO Program and help educate and inspire children (8-13) in East Harlem to take control of their health and begin to change these statistics!

MAChO is a holistic and innovative behavioral modification program designed to combat the childhood obesity epidemic at the grassroots level.  The program targets adolescents living in underserved communities.  Our aim is to incite lasting change by teaching adolescents about the importance of nutrition, fitness and personal development, to empower them to take control of their health and their lives.  Our immediate focus is not only on making healthier choices, but also on instilling key values and skills which can be applied throughout one's lifetime.

This Fall we are running programs at two sites (both in East Harlem). Sessions are held Monday and Wednesday afternoons (4-5:30pm or 6-7:30pm) and Saturdays (10am-2pm). We are currently recruiting applicants to join our team.

Some of the roles that applicants can be involved in include:

-Teaching, Mentoring or being a Teaching Assistant
-Fundraising
-Curriculum Development
-Operations
-Research & Metrics
-IT & Social Media
-Marketing
-Family & Community Engagement

Please email [log in to unmask] with any questions.

To apply, fill out the attached questionnaire and email as an attachment, or preferably, go here to enter your information. Applications are due by next Monday (9/26). You may be contacted for a brief phone interview on a first come, first serve basis, so we encourage you to apply early.

Email applications to [log in to unmask] or mail to:
MAChO Program
445 E 69th St.
Suite #208