PREMEDINFO-L Archives

April 2014, Week 1

From:
Kemile Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2014 14:45:57 -0400
"The Heads Up! Pediatric Literacy Program, a dedicated literacy partner of Reach Out and Read, is looking for volunteers to manage and maintain the literacy program at our sites in the Bronx area, which include Lincoln Hospital Center and 7 different St. Barnabas Hospital clinics.

Heads Up! was designed in 1992 to address the problems of inadequate language development and illiteracy that are prevalent among inner city children. We serve children in the pediatric clinics who come from economically disadvantaged families and are at high risk for developmental delays in language skills. Through our program, pediatricians are able to give each child a new and age-appropriate book at every well-child check-up and educate parents on a one-to-one basis on how to use the books effectively.

The volunteers would be expected to visit their designated clinics on a weekly basis to maintain the doctor's book closets as well as manage central inventory. The responsibilities will include: restocking books, shipping books out to the different clinics, working with the physicians to ensure that the books are being given out properly, and occasionally reading to the patients in the waiting room. This is an unpaid internship that will require approx. 2-3 hours of commitment every week, and we are only taking volunteers who are able to commit to this internship for at least one year. In addition to receiving volunteer hours, the intern will be able to: interact with nurses and physicians in a hospital setting, shadow doctors in the clinic (upon request), observe how pediatric clinics are run, and get letters of recommendation from the physicians at their sites. This position is perfect for pre-med students or students who are interested in public health/the non-profit sector. The internship will start in June 2014, but an earlier start date is possible. If you would like to apply, or have any questions about our program, please e-mail Julie Hwang at [log in to unmask] or call 646-962-4968. Applications will close May 1st, 2014."

http://nyp.org/komansky/patient_care/centers_programs/heads_up/