PREMEDINFO-L Archives

December 2008, Week 2

From:
"L.Wood-Hill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
L.Wood-Hill
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 2008 12:53:27 -0500
This opportunity is for freshman and sophomores (completing their first
degree) ONLY.

I would be deeply grateful if you could bring to the attention of your
premed students the opportunities that the UVA Summer Medical and Dental
Education Program (UVA SMDEP) offers. Please note that UVA SMDEP is open
only to freshmen and sophomore premed students.

For a more detailed description of UVA SMDEP, please refer your freshmen and
sophomore premed students to our homepage on the web, which contains the
application and other information. Our address is as follows:
http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/academic-support

Our website also has a copy of the manual, "A Road MAAP to the Medical
Promised Land: An Advising Manual." We believe your premed students can
benefit greatly from the information in the manual.

Please encourage your students to go on-line and read all of the
instructions carefully before completing the application. I strongly
recommend that they apply as soon as possible since our admission is on a
rolling basis. We have already started admitting students from December
2008.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to call me at
434-243-6165 or e-mail: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.  I
deeply appreciate your help with this.

I am pleased to share with you the following information related to the
success of our partnership in increasing the representation of individuals
from disadvantaged backgrounds in medicine: Data from our participant
tracking system currently indicate that since 1984, 2,499 participants have
been served; of whom 450 have already obtained their M.D. degrees; 22 of the
past participants are medical school faculty including a chairman of
Ophthalmology, two assistant deans, an associate director for a residency
program in medicine, and an assistant director for a residency program in
Obstetrics and Gynecology.

There was also a recent article on the program in the publication "UVA
Innovation" entitled "Helping Future Doctors Believe in Themselves"
http://medicine.virginia.edu/innovation/v2n2/Believe.html

Your partnership with us in this very important endeavor, over the years, is
deeply appreciated.  Thank you for making a difference!

I would like to use this opportunity  to inform you that I will be retiring
on July 1, 2009. Dr. M. Norman Oliver, Associate Dean for Diversity,
Director of the Center on Health Disparities, Associate Professor,
Departments of Family Medicine, Public Health Sciences, and Anthropology,
has been appointed to replace me as the UVA SMDEP Principal Investigator and
Director effective March 1, 2009. Dr. Oliver has been very involved with the
program for many years.

I will assist Dr. Oliver before and after my retirement as needed.

With warmest personal wishes.

Take care.

Sincerely,

Moses

Moses K.A. Woode, Ph.D., D.I.C., FAIC
Associate Dean for Student Academic Support and Strategic Programs
Professor of Medical Education
Principal Investigator and Director, UVA SMDEP

Office: 434-982-1867
Office: 434-243-6161
Fax:  434-982-1917
Web Page:  http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/internet/academic-support/

PO Box 800446
University of Virginia School of Medicine
Charlottesville, VA  22908-0446

If you wish to unsubscribe from the PREMEDINFO-L List, please send an E-mail to:"[log in to unmask]".  Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF PREMEDINFO-L".