PREMEDINFO-L Archives

November 2020, Week 5

From:
Kemile A Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 2020 13:54:56 +0000

Dear MIM Family,

As 2020 comes to a close, let’s reflect on our accomplishments in the midst of adversity and the powerful lessons learned.  Mentoring in Medicine, Inc. has continued to provide innovative programs to inspire, educate and empower our youth to pursue health and science careers.  So much work is being done behind the scenes to create meaningful experiences for students from middle school through career!

This summer, Mentoring in Medicine hosted a Virtual Biomedical Internship in which over 750 students from middle school through graduate school formed virtual learning labs and performed COVID impact studies!  Take a look at their work:  https://vimeo.com/mentoringinmedicine/review/449712387/45840ae328

Currently, Mentoring in Medicine hosts Motivational Mondays each week from 7 pm-8 pm EST.  Different health and science professionals share wisdom gained during their journey, provide inspiration and answer your questions.  Join us each Monday!

We Need Your Help

Tuesday, December 2 is Giving Tuesday!  We are asking for you to donate to the mission of Mentoring in Medicine as we continue to expose and encourage our students to pursue biomedical careers.  Since 2017, MIM has helped just over 1,000 students become physicians, nurses, PAs and more-most of them were discouraged from pursuing their dream!   We need your help to continue our work.  You can donate by visiting http://medicalmentor.org/donate/

Mentoring in Medicine Programs

1-Motivational Monday (Students, Parents, Educators) Monday, November 30, 2020

Time:  7 pm-8 pm EST

Guest Speaker: Jeffrey A. Barrett, M.D. is a primary care physician who specializes in mind-body medicine. Dr. Barrett is currently the medical director of Full Circle Health, an award-winning community behavioral health practice serving urban children and families in the Bronx and Manhattan. since 1999.  Dr. Barrett co teaches psychopharmacology at Columbia University with Full Circle’s Founder Dr.Derek Suite. Dr.Barrett is also a senior medical consultant responsible for the clinical assessment and evaluation of Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and PTSD for the Department of Veterans Affairs. Dr. Barrett has co-authored numerous scholarly publications and has an extensive body of clinical research experience, having worked with Nobel Prize Laureate Torsten Weisel at the Rockefeller Institute with Cornell. He is a graduate of Columbia College, Dartmouth Medical School, and Harvard's Professional Society Program.

Join Zoom Meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89222175386

Meeting ID: 892 2217 5386

Passcode: mentor

One tap mobile

+16465588656,,89222175386# US (New York) 13017158592,,89222175386# US

+(Washington D.C)

Dial by your location

        +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)

        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington D.C)

        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)

        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)

        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)

        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)

Meeting ID: 892 2217 5386

Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kb0lFc5Pv7

2-Daily MCAT Fundamentals on Bio/BioChemistry Become part of a community of pre-meds.

Student-led study groups utilize practice passages to increase your MCAT score.