PREMEDINFO-L Archives

September 2014, Week 2

From:
Kemile Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 2014 12:44:16 -0400
Please note:  Students interested in the Asian Health Institute volunteer opportunity at New York Methodist posted on September 5th  should apply directly to the Department of Educational and Volunteer Resources at: http://www.nym.org/Get-Involved/Volunteer-Opportunities/How-to-apply-to-volunteer.aspx  and select Chinese Patient Navigator in their application.  Only applications received online will be considered.

At New York Methodist Hospital, we have a variety of services and programs to provide for our patients. One of our programs, called the Asian Health Institute, is aimed to provide high quality medical services to the Chinese speaking residents of the greater New York area. Our staff and volunteers are fluent in Mandarin, Cantonese, and English to help bridge the gap of communication between the patients and medical staff.

Our volunteers in the Asian Health Institute serve as navigators by helping patients move throughout the many areas of the hospital. If  volunteers become certified as interpreters, they have a variety of opportunities to support patients throughout their admission and treatment in the hospital.

To become a volunteer in this program, applicants must have the compassion to care about the patients and the commitment to volunteer for a minimum of six months. It is recommended that applicants be able to speak, read, and/or write Chinese (Cantonese or Mandarin).