PREMEDINFO-L Archives

February 2006, Week 3

From:
Lolita Wood-Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lolita Wood-Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Feb 2006 11:54:31 -0500
The purpose of the Premedical Office is to provide assistance to students
who are planning to apply to health professions schools.  This assistance
includes:

      academic advising;

      career advisement and assessment;

      Positive advocacy for students throughout their Hunter careers and
while they are applying to their professional programs.

      A source for information regarding activities, workshops, articles
of interest, and other opportunities that will enhance one’s knowledge and
understanding of health profession careers and options.

      The office will maintain a file for each student, which later will
be the source of information for Committee Letters to health professions
schools.

2.       Almost every professional school requires a letter of evaluation
from the Premedical Committee.  The Committee will compose a letter for
you after your file is complete.  The evaluation will be based on:

      your academic record,

      information in your premedical file,

      your interview,

      your completed AMCAS application or other appropriate application
depending on your choice of specialty,

      And the opinions of your instructors and members of the Committee.

3.       With this in mind, Hunter College considers the following to be
the traditional PREMEDICAL CURRICULUM:

Chemistry – 2 years:Chemistry 102, Chemistry 104 - Genl Chem Lecture I & II

Chemistry 103, Chemistry 105 - General Chemistry Lab I & II

Chemistry 222, Chemistry 224 - Organic Chemistry Lecture I & II

Chemistry 223, Chemistry 225 - Organic Chemistry Lab I & II

Physics – 1 year:Physics 110,Physics 120-Physics I & II (9 credit sequence)

                                          OR

Physics 111, Physics 121 – Physics I & II with Calculus (10 credit
sequence)

Calculus- Math 150 & 155 as a co-requisite (preferably a pre-requisite).

Biology – 1 year:  Biology 100, Biology 102 – Principles of Biology I & II

In addition to the above requirements, please note the following:

Mathematics:  Since some medical schools require a year of calculus and
many require college math, we strongly recommend that premedical students
take MATH 150 and 155 (Calculus with Analytic Geometry).

Advanced Courses:  Successful completion of additional Biology and/or
Chemistry courses helps your application.  Discuss these options with the
Premedical Advisor.

A student must complete, at Hunter, a minimum of six science courses
(Lecture and Lab comprise one course) in order to qualify for a Premedical
Committee Letter.