PREMEDINFO-L Archives

May 2006, Week 2

From:
"L.Wood-Hill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
L.Wood-Hill
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2006 15:42:19 -0400
The session this Thursday will be at 5:30PM in a location to be announced.
Please only sign up for this if you are a minority student
(Latino/African-American) and are SERIOUS about attending.  DON'T MAKE ME
LOOK BAD!!! Mrs. Wood-Hill

Chris Panetta's contact info:

or 1-800-618-7658

FOCUS GROUP DETAILS

"We are interested in conducting focus groups on May 11th, with Latino/a and
African American students in the sciences about the challenges they see to
taking the MCATs, applying to and attending medical school, and considering
the medical profession overall.  AAMC is sponsoring this research and it is
part of a larger effort to hear from minority students about the resources
and tools they would like in order to learn about and choose medical
schools.

"We need help finding students for this study.  All participants will be
paid $75 to attend the 2-hour discussion and a meal will be provided as
well.  The focus groups will occur at a convenient location off campus and
during afternoon and evening hours.   We are looking specifically for
students with the following characteristics:

*     Biology majors primarily but we can also include some others in the
physical sciences or who have not yet declared but take science courses

*     all students should be African American or Latino/a

*     we would like a mix of women and men

*     we would like a mix of freshman, sohpmores, juniors, and seniors

*     we would like a total of 18-20 participants identified overall

"The discussion will include getting students' reactions to ideas,
materials, and web-based tools designed for minority students to help their
decision-making about medical school.

"We would like names and contact information (email and telephone numbers if
possible) for all students who you think would qualify for this study.   Our
local recruiters will then follow-up with the students, describe the
project, ask a few screening questions, and then offer an invitation and
give directions.   Speed is essential since we are hoping to be at your
school at the end of April or early May conducting the focus groups.