PREMEDINFO-L Archives

October 2011, Week 2

From:
Kelly Gentry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Oct 2011 16:23:27 -0400
During the month of October, we begin to see a little pink everywhere we look. Pictures of pink ribbons are placed on posters all around the city and on merchandise, as companies promise to donate a little bit of their proceeds to breast cancer awareness and research for every purchase we make.

So what is this all really about and what can we do to help out?

This is a time of the year to recognize that breast cancer affects ONE in EIGHT women on average in the United States. This means that we all probably know someone who has or will at one point hear that they are diagnosed with breast cancer. While a lot of effort is currently being spent on researching treatments for this disease, the best way to protect ourselves is through screening and early detection. According to the ACS, every woman over the age of 40 (or younger, if she has a family history of breast cancer) should be getting a yearly mammogram. PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW THAT SCREENING SAVES LIVES! Until then, everyone (at any age) should be performing breast self- exams.

To raise awareness, to celebrate the lives of women who are bravely fighting and who have fought this disease, and to raise funds for ongoing research, the American Cancer Society is hosting their annual Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk at the 72nd Street Bandshell in Central Park this Sunday, October 16th!

This is a great opportunity to get involved in your community, so get a few of your friends together, ask everyone to donate a few dollars, and walk this Sunday. We have started a team, called HUNT FOR THE CURE, so if you would like to donate and walk as part of our team, you can join (just go to Team Hunt for the Cure)! You can donate as little or as much as you want.

Proceeds go to: providing free mammograms for women in under-served communities, helping women look good while they are undergoing treatment, and funding breakthrough research that is aimed towards one day finding a cure! You can read more about this at
How Donations Save Lives from ACS.

Also, VOLUNTEERS are needed at the Making Strides Walk. As a volunteer, there are a number of different ways that you can help out. (This ranges from distributing lunches and refreshments, to guiding and cheering for walkers, to cleaning and setting up, and much much more.) If you are interested in volunteering, contact [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask] In your email, please include your name, phone number, and how you would like to help.

In the next few weeks, we will be holding a BAKE SALE FUNDRAISER at Hunter, which I will send out additional info about once a date and time is decided. If any of you are interested in bringing in baked goods for the sale, please reply to this email and let me know.

Finally, please FORWARD THIS EMAIL to all your friends and family.

Thank you for your time and I hope to see you this Sunday, October 16th as we Hunt for the Cure together!

Elen Gusman
Vice President of the PreHealth Organization