PREMEDINFO-L Archives

March 2012, Week 4

From:
Cathy Jalali <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2012 14:20:51 -0400
Dear All,
I am writing to let you know that this Friday, March 30, 2012 will be my last day at Hunter College. You are a wonderful group, with great minds and talent and I expect to hear about your great contributions and achievements to the biomedical field in the years to come. In the meantime, whether I have had the opportunity to tell you these in person or not I will leave you with these parting words:

1.  Please read extracurricular materials to ensure you are training your verbal reasoning skills and aptitude. I have suggested you all start with reading the New Yorker to enhance your reading and reasoning skills, but any sort of non-science, non-fiction writing is a good place to start.
2.  Please remember that pre-med/ pre-vet/ pre-dent is an identity to cultivate and not merely a series of courses to take.  Please be active in your community, participate in patient-care and research to ensure you have investigated your suitability for a career in medicine as well as your interests from multiple perspectives.  A well-rounded, contemplative individual will no doubt make a well-rounded, prepared applicant in the long run.
3.  Ultimately, this pursuit is just as much about your future patients (if not more) as it is about you. Please remember that everything you learn and do is supposed to make you a better asset for your patients. Let what you can and hope to do for them motivate you along the way when you feel unmotivated.
4.  Be confident in your ability. We all can use a little bit more discipline to optimize our natural potential, but don't ever forget just how much potential you have. Don't let others' opinions and misguided comments prevent you from realizing your goals. Use discipline and good time management (and read of course:)). You already possess everything else you need.

Thanks for a wonderful experience.
It has been a pleasure and privilege.
Cathy