PREMEDINFO-L Archives

April 2014, Week 2

From:
Kemile Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2014 11:32:49 -0400
Dear Prehealth Students,
            My name is Sameer Khan. I graduated from Hunter College in 2012 and I am currently a first year medical student at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai. This summer I am going to be doing research on Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) with a gastroenterologist at Mount Sinai, Dr. Ashish Atreja (www.sinaiapplab.org). We will be studying how patient outcomes are affected by the use of a web-based application that enables patients and physicians to better monitor symptoms of chronic disease over long periods of time.
            We are currently looking for two types of dedicated research interns. The first is for students who might be interested in joining us soon in conducting focus groups with patients, but also helping us in initiating a long-term randomized clinical trial we are beginning this summer to study the effect of application use. This will be a fantastic opportunity to learn the basics of clinical research while also developing a relationship with mentors at Mount Sinai. Students who participate will receive letters of recommendation. Additionally, depending on student contribution, there is the possibility that students may also be published.
             The second opportunity is for interns who could help us design educational videos for patients living with Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Additionally, we are also looking for someone who might be able to help us further develop an application we are using to monitor a patient’s health longitudinally on a dashboard available to physicians. This position will be compensated.
             Please email me at: [log in to unmask] for further information. We look forward to having you work with us.