PREMEDINFO-L Archives

July 2012, Week 5

From:
Kelly Gentry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2012 12:46:49 -0400
DO NOT E-MAIL THE PRE-HEALTH OFFICE ABOUT THIS POSTING

Program Dates: September 10th – December 9th
Application Deadline: August 24th 5 p.m.
Apply: http://www.columbia.edu/cu/aap/application.html

OVERVIEW OF POSITION:

The Academic Associate program is a clinical research assistant program in the Emergency Department of the St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center. Your primary responsibility will be to ongoing research projects being conducted in the department in an effort to improve emergency care, to bring greater precision to the practice of emergency medicine (EM), and to improve the quality of care.  Each of these projects focuses on a different aspect of patient care, and they include clinical trials on medications, patient and physician survey studies, observational cohort studies, practice-pattern studies, and ultimately many more. Opportunities for high-level involvement in specific research projects are available to motivated, reliable, interested individuals in addition to baseline commitment. Observation of emergency department procedures, resuscitations, and general care is an integrated part of the experience, and in some cases required for execution of research enrollment. All AAs will have the opportunity to shadow a resident on a few of their shifts.

There is no pay for the AA position.  However, the directors of the program, Dr. Bania & Dr. Quaas, expect and plan to write letters in support of AAs who spend time and effort on the program for endeavors that you are pursuing (i.e. medical school or health-related fields, etc.)  It is an extremely enriching experience for you, both in terms of the research experience you gain, and also in the exposure to modern medicine that you enjoy.  The ED is the place where illnesses of every single type and variety end up eventually.  There is no illness that we do not see in the ED, and we see patients at all points of the spectrum in terms of severity.  You will also gain invaluable research experience and hands-on clinical involvement in research.  This is not bench research, so your experience will be clinically oriented.

COMMITMENT:

We ask for 2 shifts per week from each AA, and also request your attendance at some evening training sessions per semester.   Please carefully review the "commitment" section in the AA manual to learn the attendance policy.  You are responsible for knowing and following our policies for attending shifts, training sessions, and orientations.

CONTACT INFO:
AA Staff: [log in to unmask]
Website: www.columbia.edu/cu/aap

DO NOT E-MAIL THE PRE-HEALTH OFFICE ABOUT THIS POSTING