STUDENTCAUCUS-L Archives

May 2003, Week 1

STUDENTCAUCUS-L@HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
Jillian Murray <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jillian Murray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2003 22:20:22 -0400
Hi guys,
I'm supposed to be writing a paper now, but I just wanted to rattle this off.
A thread on the hunter-l has been discussing problems with campus security,
specifically the irregular openings of the entrances to THH, and the
closing of the only direct entrance to the building b/c of sidewalk
construction.
Wednesday at the Senate meeting, VP for Administration Len Zinnanti caught
up with me to talk about what I had posted to the hunter-l. He said, in not
terribly vague language, that he would prefer it if I didn't air the
administration's dirty laundry on a public listserv. Better to call or
e-mail him directly. Anyway, he said that the door openings were "a
management issue" that he would see to.
As for the entrance blockage, he said "listen, we're trying to secure
access points at this college. We're not going to open up another entrance.
I know that's going to piss off a lot of smokers, but that's the way it is.
They'll have to walk around."
Zinnanti's argument makes no sense. All they're doing by opening the 68th
st entrance during construction -- same number of "access points." So I
think we should take this issue up with Mr. Nomikos, Zinnanti's assistant.
I'm trying to think of what approach will work best. Since this is about
the administration's ignoring of students in THH, I think it would be good
to make this a broad thing. Perhaps we can distribute many copies of form
letters to the clubs and offices in THH and have them sign them and drop
them off to Nomikos's office.
Thoughts?
-Jillian

Jillian Murray