STUDENTCAUCUS-L Archives

May 2003, Week 2

STUDENTCAUCUS-L@HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
William Lim <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Lim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 May 2003 11:35:11 -0400
damn straight. even though i'm not from the west coast, i'd still have a 90
minute commute each way if i lived at home instead of my apartment. all the
money i saved in tuition from transferring from private to public college
is going toward my rent.

the equitable solution should be distance consideration - concentric
circular zones going out from Brookdale in 10, 20, 50, and 50+ mile
intervals. only when all students in the 50+ mile zone are provided for do
the students within 50 miles of campus become eligible, and so on. only
when an eligible student declines dorm housing should the room be up for
lottery to students in the next lower mile zone. all students outside 20
miles should be guaranteed 4 years as long as they maintain full time
enrollment.

as for "perks" for the honors kids, whatever the program, i think it should
only extend to a 50% housing stipend, a 4-year guarantee (provided they
meet the distance eligibility) contingent on maintaining a 3.0 GPA and
being full time, and most importantly, they must prove to Brookdale Council
that they are active members of 1 or more student clubs by spring of
freshman year. making honors students responsible for the other 50% of
their housing (and for most kids at 17, 18, or 19, they're still getting
money from their parents) means that they (or their parents at least) will
have some sense of ownership to the dorms and an incentive to prevent
graffiti & theft. requiring them to be active in clubs means they will be
more active overall on campus and more likely to actually use their dorm
space for living, studying, and "student life" instead of having it stay
empty. the reason why students would choose dorm over home is to have
experience in independent living and i think the clubs and the 50%
requirements goes a long way toward that goal.

-WL