STUDENTCAUCUS-L Archives

November 2003, Week 2

STUDENTCAUCUS-L@HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
Li-Ess Baptiste <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Li-Ess Baptiste <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 16:36:42 -0500
Tell us when the flyers are done, and I'll pick some up at the 10 flr HE
ofc to distribute.

I realize we have a budget as a chartered club.  However, I think we
should take advantage of the Senate budget for several reasons.  One
dealing with Accounting as a club is a pain in the butt.  Although we
supposedly have a reliable source of money from them, they don't always
reimburse most of the money spent.  Even when they approve an upcoming
expenditure, they may not give the money in time or at all.  Because they
mess up, I mean can not locate things, they can place a stop on records.

Even if the process was adequate or efficient, it doesn't hurt to have a
back-up supply.  In addition, money is about power.  If others have access
to these resources we should to.

Hence, I am meeting with Tronto this Monday.  I would like to set up a
semester event starting with next semester.  Granted, I won't be here to
see what is going on, but it maybe someone else from the caucus would like
to see it.

Anyway next semester, I would like to see a "Get Committed...and Make a
Difference" "Committee Yourself Week".  You can change the title as you
see fit.  This event is kind of like an extended Open House I think we are
planning for this semester.

Plan A
Have workshops.  Maybe one explaining the importance of the Senate in an
Open House forum.  There should be nice, hot refreshments.  Maybe a skit
or Moc workshop demonstrating the process.  Maybe we should have real mini
sessions where certain issues are brought forth and argued.  Since they
are not elected members they may not vote directly, but they could
influence the voters.  Maybe the discussions will leave them so passionate
about the Senate, they decide to join up to vote.

Plan B
Maybe we don't need a whole lot of meetings or an extended time period to
explain and entice people.  Maybe we can just do it all in one big bang.

or Plan C

Maybe we have one big thing.  but then periodically, we remind people the
importance of things.

In terms of budgeting, I would like one of the Premier events to be done
with school catering and in the faculty lounge.

I haven't done all the math, but maybe the event(s) could be anywhere from
$300-1000 depending on which variables we chose.

Please REPLY ALL and give me input.  Maybe we can come to a more defined
plan of action online.

I also would like to see scholarships for students or gifts to the school
given by us.  Maybe we can use some of the money in the budget to raise
money for it.  Maybe we can use the money directly out of the budget.

again input is well appreciated