STUDENTCAUCUS-L Archives

May 2003, Week 1

STUDENTCAUCUS-L@HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
Jon Gradowski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Gradowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2003 04:36:42 -0400
I would disagree about Jon's claim that the Envoy doesn't cover Hunter
events. Going from memory on their last few issues, they've done everything
from interviewing my Latin professor, covering guest speakers, and an
informational article on the CPE. Whether this is the *kind* of coverage
you want to see is a different matter. But at that point you can't play the
"them" game, it's "we" who aren't reporting.

You got a point. The Polemic has been utterly deficient of almost any
objective "Hunter" news. I could make excuses - lack of writers, lack of
time, only been in the game for a month and a half or so- but really, I just
haven't tried all that hard.

Regarding The Envoy. It is true that they have been covering a scintilla of
Hunter events. That CPE article, I agree, was indeed timely and informative.
Regarding the Latin Professor (sorry, Jillian) but I would openly question
its "newsworthiness." In regard to Hunter First and campus media in general,
what is needed is not just more Hunter-based reporting, but more diversity
in opinions. Even the CPE article was not "objective" reporting: I believe
its title was "Can't Possibly Escape...the CPE. I personally agree with that
aptly-stated sentiment but it's not quite "just the facts." The same can be
said for pretty much any article in the Envoy (or the Polemic) -- be it on
the war (Bush is a war criminal), or CUNY tuition hikes (thousands upon
thousands of students will be left "schoolless"...but never fear...the
quixotic SLAM is coming to the rescue), or even more subtly, what they
choose to cover. I don't think purely objective news is possible at either
the Polemic or the Envoy without a faculty advisor. Indeed, I would support
such a measure for my paper.

Considering the unlikelihood of this, I think what's needed is for us to
start joining papers (either the Envoy, the Polemic, or this radio station)
and start opining (enough of these emails!). This school does in fact have a
panoply of opinions -- you would just never know it from reading The Envoy.
I agree with Will that the Envoy is the publication with the most
potential -- by dint of its peerless budget, its age, and its reader
circulation. In short, if you can't beat em, join em. This, quite possibly,
would be the best venue for Hunter First to get its opinions out next year.
The radio, however, is ripe, virgin soil. I don't think anyone has ever
actually had a political talk show on there, no less a Huntercentric
political talk show. (Is this correct Mama Elephant?) This could be
something, as Will pointed out, worth pursuing.

I don't think the Envoy is not printed weekly b/s of money. I think it's a
lack of staff and organization. I could be wrong, and yes, color printing is
frivolous, but I truly think it's more shortage of staff.

Sorry for the way this reads -- like a sloppy rant -- but it's 4:30 am and
that is pretty much all I can muster right now. Perhaps there's something of
value in here.

Best,

Jonathan