STUDENTCAUCUS-L Archives

March 2003, Week 3

STUDENTCAUCUS-L@HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
Jillian Murray <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jillian Murray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 08:33:09 -0500
At 03:09 AM 3/20/2003 -0500, Li-Ess Baptiste wrote:
>         Perhaps the following passage will adequately summarize and
>clarify our intent.
>
>BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, That the Senate demands that the State of New
>York MAINTAIN adequate funding for CUNY to charge its students $1764.40
>or less in tuition and fees (maybe we should list the fees i.e. Student
>Technology Fee, Student Activity Fee, etc.).

Hm... not sure about this. I don't think it solves the "adequate" problem
at any rate. Pataki could slash the budget, and not make provisions for a
tuition increase -- we'd just go into retrenchment. But I definitely like
the idea of brining fees (the hidden tuition increases) into play. Who
knows what they have up their sleeves.
I think the gist of Prof. Sherrill's comments last night was that we should
be broader, something like:

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, That the Hunter College Senate opposes any cuts to
CUNY funding, and,
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, That the Hunter College Senate opposes any
increases to tuition and fees

Short and sweet?

Jillian Murray
Vice Chairperson