STUDENTCAUCUS-L Archives

March 2003, Week 4

STUDENTCAUCUS-L@HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
Jillian Murray <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jillian Murray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Mar 2003 19:51:49 -0500
Hi all,
It will not be possible to get a lecture hall any weekday from 8:00a -
10:00p, plain and simple. Classes are in session; nothing's available.
Thoughts thus far:
-- 217 HW, with an attempt to get the H.C. Senate to foot the bill if we
have to get a Student Svcs rep for $75 (or whatever it is)
-- HW lobby. Rent mics for the speakers, then try to mic the students who
want to ask questions. Not sure how hard it is to get a reservation there.
Kind of loud, but very visible.
-- Large classroom.  Might be really tough to get while classes are in
session. Would not look very "professional," whatever that means. Surprise
high turnout would mean crowding.

Any other ideas?
-Jillian

At 03:30 PM 3/23/2003 -0500, Jennifer Weiss wrote:
>Good point Jon. A lecture hall seems appropriate but it becomes more
>essential that we do a lot of outreach for it then. We want to make sure
>that the students know this kind of discussion is occurring and that it's
>essential they participate.
>
>-j
>

>On 3/23/03 2:14 PM, "Jon Gradowski" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > I fear that if we have this forum in a crowded locale such as HW lobby or
> > even the third floor HW in front of the cafeteria, it will be too noisy to
> > conduct serious discussion. I feel that both HW lobby and HW 3rd floor are
> > best suited for pamphleteering and other activities of the like. If
> > anything, I would suggest a lecture hall for the forum that is
> publicized by
> > pamphleting in HW lobby and HW 3rd floor. Thoughts?
> >
> > Jonathan Gradowski

"Can it be that my fate as a novelist consists
in compromising all my heroes and heroines
in the eyes of well-bred people?"
-- Nikolai Gavrilovich Chernyshevsky, "What Is to Be Done?"
Jillian Murray
http://studentweb.hunter.cuny.edu/~murrayj