STUDENTCAUCUS-L Archives

March 2003, Week 4

STUDENTCAUCUS-L@HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
Jennifer Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jennifer Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 09:26:42 -0500
I think debate is awesome and necessary but we need to set some ground
rules. People tend to become obnoxious and belligerent when their
lifestyle's are being criticized and we want to avoid having any one person
dominating the debate and trying to push their agenda (which we all know
could potentially happen).

How are we planning to organize it? How do we define different styles of
activism and than get someone that represents all these things together and
does work for Hunter on a panel? SLAM is certainly not homogenous in this
respect. Are we doing liberal, republican, left? Are we doing black bloc,
electoral? We're talking about people having debates that have fundementally
different attitudes toward the way our system is organized. I'm totally into
it I just want to see how it's organized.

Also - I know these things have a tendency to end up being all white, male
panels. It would be a real shame if we have a panel of activists that
totally didn't represent the largely women of color student body. I just
want to make a call for us to be aware of that as this thing comes together.

Peace,