HCJ-L Archives

March 2007

HCJ-L@HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
Allison Steinberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2007 10:58:15 -0400
As a current IMA student and a former undergraduate media studies major
at Hunter with a passion for and focus on journalism, I believe it is
of utmost importance for a student to publish work in his/her school
publications.

I have written for my high school newspaper, at Hunter for the Envoy,
The Word, @Issue (Peter's online magazine in the IMA program) and now
write for several publications for pay.

Journalism seems to be overshadowed by video in the media department at
Hunter when it comes to course offerings, funding, and focus. Gregg
Morris has it right in publishing students work from basic reporting
on- I remember his emphasis in class on building that portfolio and how
important that was in getting a job later on. If students can't use
your clips from school publications to land paid writing gigs, then at
least they will gain the writing-for-publication experience- invaluable
insight into how things work in the "real world". Practice makes
perfect.

The Word, perhaps more than the Envoy, publishes stories of social
significance. The same is true with the Hunts Point Express. What
better way to get clips for your portfolio than to be guided by the
knowledge and experience of well-established journalists like the
professors in our program?

Students must be lazy or not passionate about journalism if they're not
contributing to the school papers. What else could it be?

Best,
Allison Steinberg
646.413.8918