HCJ-L Archives

April 2007

HCJ-L@HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
Peter Parisi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 20 Apr 2007 11:28:59 -0400
Some of us journalism faculty have been meditating on how to address
multimedia journalism at Hunter. I'm curious where the students on
this list stands on this possibility, in terms of your interests and
your abilities.

It's tough enough to simply master the writing and research/reporting
skills plus the civic savvy that it takes to be a good journalist.
Full-on mastery of multimedia elements like web design, still
photography, video and audio could practically turn into a triple
major! At the same time, many professional journalists are working
fluently with across media. There may also be intermediate skill
levels that are adequate to navigate in the current convergent
journalism environment.

An interesting wrinkle here is that a lot of you are probably shooting
and editing video for websites like YouTube and MySpace just for fun!
Not to say that these recreational uses amounts to complete multimedia
skill, but it's a start.

So could we hear from some of you guys about the abilities you possess
and your interest in engaging in multimedia storytelling at some
appropriate level?

Peter Parisi

--
Peter Parisi, Ph.D.