HCJ-L Archives

April 2007

HCJ-L@HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
Peter Parisi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 20 Apr 2007 22:17:16 -0400
Darien,

I love your comments even though I partly don't understand them and
partly don't agree. But I get a big kick out of your sweeping,
futuristic (utopian? dystopian?) visions.

A few queries: Do you really mean it that ...

I can "subscribe to" a "cultural generation" of my choice? let me know
where to mail my subscription. I want to be young again.

Young people today want nothing but hard, objective facts? what's your
evidence?  what's going on when my students say that "everything is
subjective"?

You believe Wikipedia represents the perfection of journalism because
of the multiple intelligences it draws upon, which then get "leveled."
But you must see the many Wikipedia pages where how to narrate the
gathered information is under heavy debate, discussion and revision.
how do you account for that? (Don't get me wrong though. I think
open-source software development and "distributed intelligence" plus
the "distributed editing" represented by YouTube to be important,
exciting democratic developments.)

Can you tell me more about what life will be like when the
supergeniuses take over, especially for us monkeys?

Hope to talk with you in the MeatWorld some time. Are you in the IMA
program? What's your story?

Peter Parisi