HCJ-L Archives

April 2007

HCJ-L@HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
"Bernard L. Stein" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2007 15:35:05 -0400
This may sound dumb, but I think the first place to turn is to newspapers, particularly The New York Times, Daily News, Washington Post and LA Times. If you're going to debate the value of "old media" or "mainstream media," you ought to read them. This isn't directed at Prof. Gorelick, who does, but at the many students who say they're interested in journalism but don't read the papers.

And if you haven't watched "News War," the excellent series Frontline did on the ills and future of news, it's still available on-line at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/programs/
Don't miss it.

I often find myself disagreeing with Jay Rosen--a topic for another time--but his PressThink regularly raises important issues and is on my rss feed. Then there's Assignment Zero, the Rosen-driven experiment in "crowd sourcing," or is it "crowdsourcing"---man, I hate jargon.

Chip Scanlan is a great writing coach, on-line at the Poynter Institute. And Poynter's PointsSouth offers  evidence--if anyone needs it--that students can write great stories. So (I will immodestly say) do these: www.huntspointexpress.com and www.nycitynewsservice.com, offering work from the CUNY graduate school of journalism.

Editor & Publisher is worth adding to the magazine list.

And around graduation day, journalismjobs.com might come in handy.

Bernard L. Stein