HCJ-L Archives

January 2008

HCJ-L@HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
Peter Parisi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2008 15:50:24 -0500
 The CUNY J-School is hosting a full day seminar on Covering Race and
Ethnicity on Monday, January 14th which I thought might be of interest
to you and your colleagues.

Covering Race and Ethnicity – A Full Day Seminar hosted by Professor
Lonnie Isabel, City University of New York Graduate School of
Journalism
January 14, 9AM - 5PM

Journalists in a multi-ethnic society must constantly ask themselves
how best to report and tell the stories of racial conflict, of
cultural differences and of religious beliefs. When do these
differences become essential to a story and how should they affect our
coverage of issues like immigration, health policy, politics, and
religion? We'll discuss the journalist's role in sorting through it
all. The day will be divided into three parts:

   1. Civil Rights Then and Now---A panel discussion among reporters
who covered the civil rights movement of the 1960s and reporters who
are covering immigration. Is this a new civil rights movement?
   2. Covering Religion--A discussion among Muslim, Christian and
Jewish reporters.
   3. Diversity--How can journalists get better at covering people who
don't look like, talk like or share our beliefs? And why does it
matter?

I realize everyone is probably scattered to the four winds during the
break, but if anyone is interested in attending, you are most welcome.
Just drop me a note to rsvp.

Best,

Steve

Stephen Dougherty
Director of Admissions and Student Affairs
CUNY Graduate School of Journalism
219 West 40th Street, Room 307
New York, NY 10018
Phone: (646) 758-7731
Email: [log in to unmask]

Please visit us at http://www.journalism.cuny.edu

If you wish to unsubscribe from the FM-L List, please send an E-mail
to: "[log in to unmask]". Within the body of the text, only
write the following:"SIGNOFF FM-L".

--
Peter Parisi, Ph.D.
Associate Professor