HCJ-L Archives

February 2008

HCJ-L@HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
Allison Steinberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2008 13:21:50 -0500
With all due respect to my favorite professor, Steve, you said it
yourself, " Libido is a strong instinct." Plan and simple- sex plays a
role in any decision-making process, from the candidate's judgment on
what issues should be addressed (when he refers to that lobbyist's
requests in his pile of paperwork in the Oval Office) to the American
public's choice for our next President (shouldn't we need to know these
tidbits, however played up or down they might be?). Yes, the media
condenses stories to sensational, sound bites and yes, the public
absorbs this and neglects the fuller, contextual truth of the story,
but we live in a culture in our conservative country where sex is still
largely taboo and that's just how it goes. We relish in the gossip
around sex because we don't feel we can talk about it freely.
Overcompensatory? Perhaps. Look at France- they want the President's
bedroom business out of the media. Perhaps the free-flowing wine and
open discussions of sexual affairs as part of their mainframe makeup in
France accounts for their ability to look past the sex and see the
whole picture.

Where's our wine?

Best,
Allison Steinberg