AILACTD-L Archives

July 2016

AILACTD-L@HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
Don Hatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AILACT DISCUSSION LIST <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jul 2016 14:59:13 +0000
Greetings AILACT Members,

The following article was sent by my Chair.  While it is about the steep decline in English majors at a large school in Maryland, the situation also applies to  all humanities majors when new General Education requirements have no distribution requirements.  The situation is especially troubling at small schools with relatively few humanities majors.

<https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2015/01/26/where-have-all-english-majors-gone​>

We did away with distribution requirements at Baker a few years ago, and now many of our courses needed for the few philosophy majors we have do not make. The future for the humanities does not look good. When we had a distribution requirement, courses that counted towards distribution always  made and served the few philosophy majors at the same time.  So, be careful what sort of General Education program your school adopts.

Cheers --Don

> https://HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU/scripts/wa-hc.exe?TICKET=NzM2MTgyIHJob2ZmbWFuQElITUMuVVMgQUlMQUNURC1MIPizRF66BNRb&c=SIGNOFF

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail")
is sent by Baker University ("BU") and is intended to be confidential and for the
use of only the individual or entity named above. The information may be
protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts or other legal rules.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are notified
that retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please immediately notify
Baker University by email reply and immediately and permanently delete this
e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.