AILACTD-L Archives

March 2017

AILACTD-L@HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
Victor P Maiorana <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AILACT DISCUSSION LIST <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2017 12:32:49 -0400
March 22, 2017
Hello Jim,
To “everyone who has taught, or is teaching, a critical thinking course” please keep the following in mind when considering critical thinking, reading, and writing materials for classroom use:

Critical Thinking, Reading, and Writing - What You Should Understand

As a teacher-educator, teacher-candidate, school and college faculty member, student, instructional coach/designer, professional developer, writer/producer of educational materials, principal, or education dean, here is what you need to understand:
~ You cannot think critically of anything unless you employ a critical reasoning strategy.
~You cannot read anything critically unless you employ a critical reasoning strategy.
~ You cannot write of anything critically unless you employ a critical reasoning strategy.

A critical reasoning strategy is the mental view you take of subject matter. It is how you reason when thinking of the facts and ideas within new and revisited subject matter. A critical reasoning strategy is arranging facts and ideas according to some reasoning framework for purposes of (1) understanding, comprehending, and explaining; (2) engaging in argumentation, and (3) solving problems.

Said another way, a critical reasoning strategy is how you have your mind arrange (i.e., organize, systemize, assemble, construct, form patterns for), subject matter facts and ideas when you think, read, and write. It is therefore the mental foundation for how you ask your students to think, read, and write critically when leading them in gaining understanding and comprehension of subject matter.

​The consequences of instruction that is not based on a critical, formal, explicit, and shared critical reasoning strategy - one that reflects the innate critical grammar of mind of human beings - is the inducement of rote learning and the defeat of critical thinking, reading/listening, and writing/speaking abilities in all students: disadvantaged, English language learners, general, and special.
​
For more on critical instruction, see www.criticalthinking.info

Respectfully,
Victor Maiorana