AILACTD-L Archives

March 2017

AILACTD-L@HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
James Freeman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AILACT DISCUSSION LIST <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2017 17:51:54 -0500
Calling all Critical Thinking course instructors!
This is a message to everyone who has taught, or is teaching, a critical thinking course.
We are editing a new kind of resource book for critical thinking instructors.
One feature of this resource book is model instructional materials, on virtually any topic, to which a
beginning instructor can turn for guidance. We need experienced critical thinking teachers to contribute
model course materials (in return for a share in the royalties).
§ We need tried and true models of lesson plans for units of instruction for a single class on a topic, or
a week-long unit on a topic, or a two-week-long unit on a topic.
§ We need effective model practice exercises and/or homework assignments for virtually any topic.
§ We need effective model test or exam questions.
Ideally, you will be able to identify the critical thinking skill(s) or dispositions your submission is
designed to teach, and you will have ideas about “real world” applications of the material.
Please contact us for more details if you would like to be included as a contributor to The Critical
Thinking Book.
The Editors
Tony Blair [log in to unmask] Ralph Johnson [log in to unmask]
We need material on the following topics.
Argument identification, analysis and diagramming or mapping
Evaluating and critiquing arguments
Using arguments to inquire or investigate
Constructing effective arguments; making a case
Analyzing reports and recommendations of sources—e.g., appeals to the authority of alleged
experts and evaluating their reliability
Interpreting and assessing observations and reports of observations; reliability of eyewitness
testimony; reliability of our sensory observations
Recognizing and using basic deductive logical relations: entailment, contraries, contradictories,
necessary and sufficient conditions.
Understanding and assessing reports of various kinds of experimental design and various
kinds of studies (covering, e.g., correlation vs. causation).
Recognizing, assessing, and using reasoning and inference to the best explanation
Recognizing and assessing generalizations, polls and other sampling, tables and graphs
Recognizing, analyzing and assessing the use and misuse of analogies
Recognizing different kinds of value judgments and their criteria (including evaluation concepts
such as criteria, standards, ranking, grading, marking, formative and summative evaluation,
analytic and global evaluation), pro and con reasoning, kinds of rules, consequences and
principles.
Recognizing and assessing the merits and appropriateness of different kinds of definitions and
skill in composing definitions
Assessing and in creating classifications for various purposes
Interpreting and assessing information found on the Web
Other—suggestions for other topics