AILACTD-L Archives

June 2017

AILACTD-L@HUNTER.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
James Freeman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AILACT DISCUSSION LIST <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2017 18:10:44 -0400
Dear AILACT members,

As in previous years, we have requested that a session be reserved for AILACT at the 2018 APA Central Division meeting. The Central Division meeting is scheduled to take place at the Palmer House Hilton in Chicago—familiar territory for a number of us—from Feb. 21-Feb. 24. Our day/time is not definite at this point, but I would not be too surprised if we found ourselves in the Friday night 7:00-10:00 slot once again.

Don Hatcher suggested a theme, and, without narrowing it down too much, the basic idea is the relation between Critical Thinking and Psychology. So, for example, if metacognition is a crucial part of critical thinking, how can we attempt to enhance that in our students? If the “critical thinking virtues” are vitally important to the whole enterprise, what are they and how do they square with research about the power of situations to affect behavior? What about “dual process” theory a la Kahneman or Stanovich—does it provide a handy way to conceptualize what we are about in teaching critical thinking?

But you get the idea. We will aim, as usual, at having 3-4 presentations and lively commentaries on each.

If this sounds like something you would interested in doing, please give me your presentation proposal by September 15, 2017, because the APA needs full program information by Oct. 1. My colleague, David Wright and I, will need a couple of weeks to sort through the proposals.

Cheers,

Frank Fair