*       If you are applying to medical school this year I will need a copy
of your completed AMCAS application (or DO, dental or optometry) in your
file before your letters can be sent.  In addition, for those students who
are applying to medical school and DO schools we have a new service whereby
we will send your letters electronically.  The service is $10.00 and is a
one time fee for the entire year.  Please submit a check (or money order)
made out to Hunter College for $10.00 - we cannot accept cash.  Those of you
who have already had your letters written should submit the money ASAP as
Woldine has completed converting everyone's letters to a PDF format for
submission.  Please pass the word along to other students who may not be on
the listserv but who you know are applying this year.

*       Mt. Sinai School of Medicine has a Humanities and Medicine Program
for beginning sophomore students who are humanities/social science majors.
Acceptance to Mt. Sinai is assured once program requirements are met
successfully.  Sophomores who have been admitted previously had average SAT
scores of 1350 and GPA's greater than 3.65.  Students who wish to apply must
be at the beginning of their sophomore year and should not have had organic
chemistry as of yet.  For more information please visit their website:
www.mssm.edu/theschool/eap.html

*       We have designed an MCAT review course for UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS
ONLY (not postbaccs at this time).  We have found that the MCAT,
particularly the verbal section, has been the downfall of many great
potential applicants to medical school. This course will teach you how to
master the reading skills needed to make this daunting test more accessible
and understandable.  So far we have had little feedback from students who
were sent emails in June regarding the course.  If you are interested in
this course please contact us immediately.  The course will be offered this
Fall as a pilot and then we will expand it (if you show enough interest) to
include all students in our Programs.  The course requires students to
participate in a weekly workshop and commit to 10 weeks of instruction.
There will also be a fee for the course, the cost to be determined based on
the number of students who enroll and the cost of providing materials.
Please email me directly at [log in to unmask] if you are
interested.  This course is designed for students taking the MCAT exam in
January or later of 2007.  It is not a course for students in the
pre-nursing track.

*       Undergraduate students interested in Cornell's linkage program and
are sophomores should stop by our office soon and make sure that evaluations
from faculty are in your file and that you have submitted a recent resume
and transcript to our office.  Undergraduate students who are interested
must have a 3.5 GPA. At the end of the sophomore year our Committee will
select the top undergraduate students for submission to Cornell as possible
candidates.  Therefore students who are interested should have completed
some volunteer work, have exceptional grades and so leadership through some
on-campus or community organization.

*       Postbacc students interested in the linkage programs at Cornell and
Stonybrook should identify themselves by the end of their first semester at
Hunter.  Again, updated resumes, transcripts from all colleges attended, 18
credits completed at Hunter by the end of their first year and a GPA of at
least 3.75 are necessary to be considered for the program.

*       Rochester School of Medicine is launching an early assurance program
for UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS ONLY (not postbaccs).  This program would like to
attract students underrepresented in medicine: students of color as well as
students whose socioeconomic background puts them at risk for not being able
to afford medical school.  I will provide you additional information as it
becomes available as this is the first year that Rochester is attempting
this program.

*       The following is an excerpt from a premed advisor who is also an MD:

"I wannabe a doc and will do anything short of getting good grades and MCAT
scores in achieving that goal."

"I wanna help people just as long as MD is behind my name"

"What can I do that looks good on an application?"

To all:

As health professions advisors you have heard many variations on the
statements above.

Would being an RN help my chances for admission to medical school?

RNs are RNs.  MDs and DOs are MDs and DOs.  Rock musicians are not classical
musicians, although both are musicians.  RNs are not Docs, although both are
health professionals.  There are elements of RN prerequisites that overlap
with physician prerequisites, however, the way that knowledge is used can be
quite different.

There are three life experiences that I wish my twenty year old students
could understand.

1)  Are you prepared to see a new patient every ten minutes in which you
greet, assess, diagnose, advise, produce legal records, and charge a fee?
Every ten minutes for six or more hours a day you do that.  Every day, every
day, calls at night, every night, every day, forty or more people parade
through your office, your life, each wanting something from you.  Are you
prepared to develop an office staff that will help you greet, assess,
diagnose, advise, produce legal records, and charge a fee?  Do you see
yourself as an employer of four or more people who attend to you like
workers preparing the queen termite?  Every day, insurance issues, Medicare
issues, office issues, and sometimes even health issues with which to deal.
Every day.  Day after day, week after week, month after month, and year
after year.

2)  Have you dealt with sick people?  People who smell bad.  People who
curse.  People who are miserable.  People who die.  People who do not pay
their bills.  People who will not follow your advice.  People who want your
advice for free.  People who are confused.  People who are senile.  People
who no longer care.  People who are addicts.

People who have no concern for your privacy.  People with whom you share
secrets, sometimes dark secrets.  People who insert you into their lives.
People who are filled with fear, overpowering fear.

People who lie.  People whom you must touch, touch in private places.

3)  Can you live with your decisions?  Are your decisions advised by
knowledge?  Can you read a person in a way that advises your decision?  Can
you persuade a person to do something she does not want to do?  Can you
communicate with a person in such a way that they understand you?  Can you
deal with your own mistakes?  Can you deal with the fact that you will make
mistakes as a medical professional?  Can you cheat death?  Can you find more
than one way to affect a cure?  Will you practice defensive medicine?  Will
you practice efficient medicine?  Will you practice inexpensive medicine?
Can you make decisions in a multicultural environment?

What does a twenty year old premed, or pre-anything, know of the mundane, of
being ill, of making important decisions?

One can become a CNA in less than a summer.  Nursing homes need CNAs.  One
can make far more money as part of the wait staff at an expensive restaurant
as opposed to working at a nursing home.  What is it like to help a double
amputee 85 year old woman on and off the toilet, or into and out of a
wheelchair, or perhaps the shower?  What

is it like to feed the "grazers" at the dinning room circle tables?

What is it like to wipe the excrement from the behind of an 80 year old man
with severe Parkinson's?  What is it like to break up a wheelchair jam in
the hallway of the Alzheimer's wing?  What is it like to hold the blue,
frail hand of a 94 year old woman who has outlived all her relatives and she
is trying to tell you that she knows she will die tonight, and does?  What
is it like to tie a birthday balloon to the bed rail of an 82 year old
gentleman who has no idea what time of day it is?  What is it like to listen
to an 89 year old lady who lived in Japan from 1951 to 1954?  What is it
like to answer a policeman's questions as two men in dark blue suits remove
a body from a bed?  All of this can happen during the course of a weekend
shift at a nursing home.

The daily events of a nursing home reveal a great deal about people, about
health or its absence, and about the business of providing health services.
It says a great deal about the mundane, about being chronically ill, and
making decisions about everyday life.  It is a

place that has physicians' directives, DNRs, and patient turnover.

It is not the ER, the surgical suite, nor the biomedical lab.  What it is...
is life near its end.  It is about death.  It is about people who look fear
and death in the face.  It is about people who are lonely and sad.  It is
about people for whom time has stolen their personality.  It is about the
will, the fortitude, the grace, the experience of people for whom life's
door is about to close.

If you have students who want to experience medicine, health, illness, and
treatment, have them consider obtaining CNA credentials for nursing home
employment.  They can have their fill of cancer, heart disease, arthritis,
incontinence, motor failure, and mental failure all in one place at one
time.  They can meet and work with patients who have traveled life's
journey, acquired vast amounts of wisdom, and who know their fate.  These
people's observations are keen, their comments incisive, and their humanity
bare for all to see.  I can't think of a hand's on experience in health care
that can be any more intense and instructive than working as a CNA in a
nursing home.

If you have a student who is looking for an affiliation with health care
delivery, have him look at nursing home care.

L. Wood-Hill

Director, Prehealth Professions Programs

Hunter College

E812

NY, NY 10021

212-772-5244