FYI for those of you who would like a unique volunteer opportunity.

From: Dr. Dana M. Delach [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 8:07 PM
To: [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]
Subject: Pre-Med Volunteers needed....

Dear AMSA medical leaders,

 My name is Dr. Dana M. Delach. I am writing to you with a wonderful opportunity for community service in your area. I have just graduated from medical school and was blessed after spending a month elective at Terrence Cardinal Cooke Health Care Center (TCC) in their AIDS (discrete) unit. It was an opportunity in medicine that I shall not forget but I realized that there is a need for help with our patients.  A little backround for the TCC discrete unit...

Terence Cardinal Cooke Health Care center (located on 103rd and 5th Ave) became the first long-term care skilled nursing facility in New York City to designate a unit to care for men and women with AIDS. The AIDS Unit accepts people who are in the advanced stages of the disease and require multiple medical services. With 156 beds, the unit has become a center of excellence and is one of the largest of its kind in New York.  It is currently functioning at max. capacity.

I have learned that as the disease progresses, AIDS can overwhelm the body, but not the spirit.Few diseases threaten the personal dignity of the individual or require such compassion from caregivers as AIDS. Disabilities that often accompany the disease - paralysis, blindness, aphasia, and dementia - place great demands on residents, as well as on those who care for them.

Now this is where you come in.... as pre-med students. I feel that this is a wonderful opportunity to meet some of our patients. What we really need is just people to talk and visit with our residents. Dementia is a huge problem. Sadly 1/5 people with HIV will develop it. HIV is the number one cause of dementia in the age group of 20-50 years old. With the dementia our patients will forget to eat. Staff is often overwhelmed with all the patients needs that sometimes it is not possible to encourage all of our patients to eat. We are looking for volunteers to visit with our patients at your convenience when you can (although meal times at dinner are preferred). I know a pre-med education load is often jam packed but please consider this opportunity. I can promise a wonderful experience of a lifetime as well as a great asset to your medical school aps. with some wonderful letters of recommendation.....

Please feel free to contact me at this email so I can contact you with the director of Infectious Diseases at TCC.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dana M. Delach