Message

FYI!

From: Michaela Rydstrom [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2007 9:11 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]
Subject: AMSA Hunter College premed chapter (1223)

To Hunter College AMSA:

This letter is in reference to the premedical chapter of the American Medical Student Association at your undergraduate institution. As you know, AMSA is the largest, independent, organization of physicians-in-training, representing 68,000 physicians-in-training and almost two-thirds of all medical students, and many premedical students from colleges and universities from across the country. AMSA offers our members many valuable membership benefits, such as our award-winning magazine, The New Physician; mentorship and leadership resources; and the opportunity to belong to the nation’s largest organization of physicians-in-training.

AMSA is organized as a federation of local medical and premedical chapters that adhere to AMSA’s Constitution and Bylaws while pursuing independent activities relevant to their local communities. Our Constitution and Bylaws states that every chapter must have at least five (5) national members in good standing at all times in order to remain a chartered chapter.

At the last check of our membership roster, we found that your undergraduate chapter hasthree (3) members. According to our Bylaws, our organization must take action to inform you that you must take steps to recruit more members to join AMSA. If your local AMSA chapter does not recruit at least 5 members by December 31, 2007, we will have to revoke your charter status.

Please be assured that the last thing our national organization wants to do is to revoke the charters of any of our chapters. It is our local chapters that drive our organization. AMSA has hundreds of medical and premedical chapters around the country. Local chapters contribute to over 1 million hours of service and teaching every year. In addition, your predecessors at the local level took a lot of time to build up your chapters and write your charters. We are committed to helping you in every way possible to revitalize your chapter by recruiting new members and helping you with project and program development.

AMSA has many resources available online to assist you. We have resources specifically to assist chapter offices with recruitment and chapter development at www.amsa.org/chapoff. You can also order recruitment materials and get them shipped directly to you. The AMSA membership department is happy to assist you—just call 1-800-767-2266 or email [log in to unmask]. We are very committed to assisting you in every way so that you can get your membership together prior to December 31, 2007.

Please do not hesitate to contact: Jay Bhatt, National President, 703-620-6600, ext. 202, [log in to unmask], in order to learn more about the many opportunities that AMSA offers for premedical students; John Brockman, Premedical Trustee, at [log in to unmask].   You will be receiving in the mail a letter further detailing your options as an AMSA chapter.

Sincerely,

Michaela Rydstrom

Michaela Rydstrom

AMSA Membership and Benefits Assistant

American Medical Student Association

1902 Association Drive, Reston, VA  20191

703-620-6600, ext. 237  /  [log in to unmask]

AMSA's 57th Annual Convention

March 7 - 11, 2007Washington DC

www.amsa.org