The Center for the Health of the African Diaspora of NYU Institute of Community Health and Research has a conference this Saturday, February 10th on the Health of Men.  Mekbeb Gemeda spoke with us from NYU’s medical school last semester and invited everyone to attend.  It is $10.00 for students and $20.00 for others.  There will be a number of prestigious speakers on hand from medical schools!  NYU, Cornell, and Hopkins to name a few!  Hope some of you will take advantage of this RARE opportunity to see what is happening to African-American males medically and socially in the US and abroad.  I hope to attend part of the day as well but I would really like to see Hunter represented!

Saturday February 10, 2007
9:00AM – 6:30PM
Farkas Auditorium
New York University Medical Center

Sessions and Invited Speakers:

Morning Session: 9:00-1:00pm

Welcome

Key Note Speech

Robert Fullilove, Mailman School of Public Health

HIV/AIDS

David Malebranche, Emory University School of Medicine
HIV and Black Men-Where Are We Now?

Yaw Nyarko, New York University
The Economic Impact of AIDS Pandemic in Africa

Prostate Cancer

Arthur Burnett II, Johns Hopkins
Prostate Cancer in African Americans

Colon Cancer

Fritz Francois, NYU SoM
Colorectal Cancer: The Scope of the Issue

Frank Hamilton, NIDDK, NIH
Taking Charge of Your Health- The Need for Early Colon Cancer Screening in African Americans

1:00 – 2:00 p.m. Lunch and Poster Session

Afternoon Session: 2:00pm-6:00pm

Education

Douglas Wood, Columbia University
Acting Black: Reclaiming Our Academic Heritage

Walter Gilliam, Yale University Child Study Center
Prekindergarteners Left Behind: African American Males and Preschool Expulsion

Justice System

Robert Gore, Kings County Hospital Center
Youth Violence and African Americans: Perspectives from Emergency Medicine

Rodney Fuller, Medgar Evers College, CUNY
Beating the Odds: The Impact of Incarceration and Reentry (New Entry) on African-American Men in the areas of Education, Housing, Employment and Community Connection

Conflict and Violence

Antoine Clark, F.E.D.S Magazine
Mean Streets: Getting the Message Out

Joseph Marshall, Omega Boys Club/ Street Soldiers
Keeping Youth Alive and Free. The Disease of Violence- A NEW Public Health Model: Prevention, Intervention, and Rehabilitation

Anthony Isenalumhe, NYU MD Student
The Necessary Transition of the Black Male From High School to College: Some Obstacles and Some Solutions

Closing Remarks
Carlyle Miller, Weill Medical College, Cornell University

6:30 p.m. Reception and Poster Session
Performance by The James Gordon Trio