Thursday, March 1st 6-7:30PM:

Join us for an informal discussion with artist Yasmín Hernández

on the "hidden" histories and brave revolutionaries that inspired the
ARCHIVOS SUBVERSIVOS series, a project based on research done at El Centro.

"Carpeta: Filiberto/ File: Filiberto", Yasmin Hernandez, Mixed media on file
folder, 2007

"In order to appraise the caliber of leadership in the Puerto Rican
independence movement, particularly as it pertains to our efforts to disrupt
their activities and compromise their effectiveness…we must determine their
capabilities of influencing others, capabilities of real leadership, why the
intense desire for Puerto Rico's independence, what they expect to gain from
independence and the support they have from other leaders and rank-and-file
members.  We must have information concerning their weaknesses, morals,
criminal records, spouses, children, family life, educational qualifications
and personal activities other than independence activities."

-FBI, COINTELPRO (Subversive Controls Section): MEMO, 1960

Centro Gallery

AT THE CENTER FOR PUERTO RICAN STUDIES,

HUNTER COLLEGE, CUNY

Presents:

ARCHIVOS SUBVERSIVOS

An exhibition by Yasmín Hernández
On view February 9th-March 10th, 2007

ARTIST DISCUSSION:

Thursday, March 1st, 2007
6:00-7:30 PM

Centro Gallery is located in The Centro Library and Archives

Third floor, East building at Hunter College

68th Street and Lexington Avenue

Gallery Hours:

Monday, Tuesday & Thursday, 9am –6pm

Wednesday, 9am-8pm