Dear HJC and NCEW listservs:

Regarding the "clash of cultures," it is not surprising that big and
small city editorial page writers and editors didn't let any grass
grow under their feet before discounting the new online publication,
Rejected Letters to the Editor.  The site is intended to publish
materials that they (and their counterparts at other papers) deem
unworthy of publication, and they no doubt see its very existence as
a threat to their final word.

It is surprising, however, that they are rendering a public judgement
without any time for deliberation. (They only received the RLTE
announcement earlier today.)

This is the first issue of a work in progress that has, until the
barrage of defensiveness below, received a very positive response
from people around the country, including some in the armed services.

For these opinion professionals to dismiss the possibility that a
rejected letter-writer might have "visionary" ideas, which is
asserted repeatedly in their responses, shows a contempt for their
readers and, even worse,  for those citizens and others who take the
time to write letters that editors may or may not deem fit for
publication.  The repeated claim that nary a "visionary thought" ever
gets past them is absurd, particularly since few of the respondents
sound anything like visionaries.

Overall, the fact that these people didn't spend time at the sight
(Some were forthright about this: "Most of the rejected letters I
looked at (hurriedly) on the Web site were way too long anyway..." or
"I tried to read a couple. Too long. Too poorly written. Too boring,
etc."), that they lumped every letter together in one pigeon hole, or
that didn't care read a couple of more issues before rendering a
final judgement, only underscores a mental laziness and arrogance
that may be a part of the daily job they do.

I want to thank my colleague Prof. Stein for sending out our call for
submissions.  First, I want to thank him for introducing RLTE to some
of the "too-thin skinned and too wise-assed" (to employ his phrasing)
martinets who oversee letters to the editor pages around the
country.  I also want to thank him for this very public—perhaps
unprecedented—compilation of editorial attitudes regarding the
majority of those who write letters to the editor.  We look forward
to publishing it in a forthcoming edition of Rejected Letters to the
Editor.

As for  "The Ransom of Red Chief," I love that story. I always
identified with the kid.

Best, Stuart Ewen