I am not saying I find this article fully convincing, but I do think it
is fascinating to think about how the Watergate story would be covered
today in  light of many of the new journalism issues and tools we
discuss on this list. This is just one scenario, and others could also
be imagined, but I thought you might find it interesting.

By the way, to the students on the list I would suggest that, if you are
not up to snuff on the Washington Post's 1972 - 1974 coverage of
Watergate that brought down President Nixon, you might do a little
research. Woodward and Bernstein's book "All the President's Men" is a
good place to start. It is now 35 years since the first stories appeared
appearance in The Post.

Prof. Steve Gorelick

FRIDAY, JUNE 15, 2007
How Watergate break-in would be reported by media today
<http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/columns/rewrite_display.jsp?vnu
_content_id=1003599510>
Editor & Publisher
How Joe Strupp sees it: "If Watergate had broken today, chances are
someone would have posted a news story with inaccurate information too
early, or the in-depth reporting needed might have been neglected in
favor of quicker, more immediate, and more broad-interest scoops. That
is not to say that the Washington Post, still among the best daily
papers and Web sites in the industry, would not have been on top of the
story. But there is no doubt that online and immediacy demands of today
could have impacted the careful, slow-building and meticulous coverage."
Posted at 11:19:57 AM
E-mail this item
<http://www.poynter.org/content/email_friend.asp?id=124775>  | QuickLink
this item: A12477