I thought this might be of interest to my J-list colleagues.

Foreign bureaus, as many of you know, were one of the first things to be
sacrificed by news organizations trying to save money. And they were
incredibly expensive.

But check out this story that appeared today in the Hollywood Reporter
of all places.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i47e6403b3602
038866ba096cb9fcdc29

Apparently, given the even greater economies provided by new digital
technologies, it may be possible to reestablish bureaus in places like
Africa and Eastern Europe at much less cost.  As one of those quoted in
this story states, costly offices and furniture may no longer be needed
in the age of satellite phones that can quickly and cheaply transmit
print  and radio stories and highly portable cameras that can produce
broadcast quality footage.

Cool, huh?  Let's see what excuse they come up with now to ignore
Africa.

Steve