You know what I found interesting about this story of FEMA holding a
phony press conference with pretend-reporters?

I am not sure I have ever seen a more heavy-handed, amateurish attempt
at propaganda by a government agency in all my years of studying the
subject. I mean, come on: A phony press conference almost guaranteed to
be discovered as phony? Where was the subtlety? Where was the
deviousness? Some attempt at being covert?

I had this bizarre vision of some of history's most vile and long-gone
propagandists, hearing the story, laughing at the amateurishness of it,
and saying: "Now if they had asked me........"

Obviously, I celebrate the amateurishness, as it gave us a fascinating
window on an almost laughably unsubtle attempt at manipulation. That
these people even tried to get away with this tells us much about how
desperate FEMA -- a seriously wounded government agency -- is to rebuild
its reputation.

If the subject interests you, you may want to check out  Jeffrey Herf's
The Jewish Enemy: Nazi Ideology and Propaganda During World War Ii and
the Holocaust. Harvard University Press, 2006. Often caricatured as a
bunch of sturm und drang, Herf shows how the NAZI press relations and
propaganda apparatus was actually quite subtle and relied on what
today's political strategists often call the "message discipline" of
sticking to no more than one theme each day.

Prof Gorelick