nov 30

Thank you for referring so many wonderful students interested in PhD and MD/PhD training opportunities through the NIH/Oxford/Cambridge Scholars Program to our recent conference calls.

Due to high demand and maxed out attendance on previous telephone conference calls, we have scheduled an additional call for December 5, 2007 at 8:00pm (EST) for those who wish to learn about funded PHD and MD/PhD training through the NIH/Oxford/Cambridge Scholars Program. We will also discuss applying for summer internship and post baccalaureate positions at the NIH.

If you have additional students in mind to learn about these opportunities, we encourage you to have them register for the December 5th telephone conference call. Instructions for registering for the call are below.

Thank you.

NIH/Oxford/Cambridge Scholars Program
Scholarships for Students Seeking PhD or MD/PhD
Training in Biomedical Research

An opportunity for exceptional students to train at the cutting edge of biomedical science--- an experience unlike any comparable doctoral training program!

*To register for the telephone conference call and receive the toll-free “800 number” and dial-in information, please contact:

[log in to unmask] or (301)762-6155

For further information about the NIH/Oxford/Cambridge Scholars Program please link to the NIH/Oxford/Cambridge Scholars Program website at http://oxcam.gpp.nih.gov

Or email: [log in to unmask]

World Class Faculty and Research Facilities

PhD training typically 2 years at the National Institutes of Health and 2 years at Oxford University or Cambridge University

MD training component of the MD/PhD is available at top US medical schools through the Medical Scientist Training Program (MSTP)

Flexible and Individualized Degrees

PhDs in as few as 3 years; average of 4 years

Lab-based training and comprehensive advising and mentoring

Individualized and accelerated coursework and tutorials

International Collaboration

Advanced environment in which each student helps to design and lead a scientific collaboration jointly conducted by NIH and Oxford University or Cambridge University labs

Multi-disciplinary and Creative Approaches

Draw upon resources from across scientific disciplines and from around the world to pursue discoveries and/or advances in medical treatments, cures and preventative measures
Develop leadership skills necessary for success in scientific discovery

Fully Funded

Tuition, stipend, travel funds, health insurance & other forms of support for research activities!

Scholars talk about their experiences in the NIH/Oxford/Cambridge Scholars Program below:

Sam Day – NIH/Cambridge Scholar 2005 University of Arizona
"Things are great! I've just finished my first manuscript, which we are planning to submit to Nature Medicine! Also, next month I'm giving a presentation at the International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (ISMRM) annual meeting in Berlin. Not too bad for my first 1.5 years of graduate school... the model for fast-tracking willing students is a good one, and I hope that it sets the standard for a paradigm shift with regards to graduate education in the USA."

Bhooma Avaramuthan – NIH/Oxford and Marshall Scholar 2005 Michigan State University
"I came into the NIH/Oxford program already having accepted an MSTP offer from Wash U St Louis. I am pursuing my PhD/DPhil at Oxford and will then do my medical training at Wash U. The program has given me the flexibility for my medical and research training I’ve needed."

Jon Roiser – NIH/Cambridge Scholar 2002 University of Cambridge
"For me, the Scholars Program was unique in providing the opportunity to work in two first class laboratories, learning both different techniques to investigate brain function, and complementary approaches to understand the root causes of mental illness. As a result of the program, I was able to secure a post-doctoral position in a leading center in neuroscience research in London, which has subsequently led to a faculty position in just two years. This is without doubt due to the high-quality training and teaching I received during the NIH/Oxford Cambridge Scholars Program."

Julia James – NIH/Oxford and Rhodes Scholar 2005 Hobart and William Smith Colleges
"I came from a chemistry background and the NIH/Oxford/Cambridge Scholars Program allowed me to learn immunology quickly and become deeply immersed in HIV vaccine research both in the Weatherall Institute for Molecular Medicine at Oxford and the Vaccine Research Center at NIH. I have enthusiastic and dedicated mentors that share my goal of having an impact on the global AIDS epidemic."

Stephen Huffaker – NIH/Cambridge Scholar 2002 University of Wisconsin
"I was able to complete my Ph.D. in the NIH/Oxford/Cambridge Scholars Program in a little over 3 years and discovered a series of new genes in familial schizophrenia. I then decided to obtain my M.D. to continue my research in neuropsychiatry. I received full funding from the program and I’m now a second year student at Harvard Medical School. I had the opportunity to give a talk at the annual Harvard MD/PhD retreat last October and was pleased at the response (my favorite comment afterwards was about how the NIH-Oxford-Cambridge program was the all the buzz and is becoming "the top of the heap")."

Forward email

This email was sent to [log in to unmask], by [log in to unmask]

IBRA | 9613 Reach Road | Potomac | MD | 20854

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> If you wish to unsubscribe from the PREMEDINFO-L List, please send an E-mail to:"[log in to unmask]". Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF PREMEDINFO-L".