CEG CULTURAL EQUITY GROUP

Founded in 2007 to preserve and expand cultural institutions of color on a national, state and local level.

recession2

SUSTAINING OUR ARTISTS, ARTS ORGANIZATIONS AND CULTURAL INSTITUTIONS OF COLOR DURING THE "RECESSION"

Hunter College

68th & Lexington Avenue, 7th Floor

Hall 714 West Building

Friday, May 9th, 2008

6pm - 8pm

Moderated by:

Dr. Marta Moreno Vega, Founder of the Caribbean Cultural Center

Panelists:

Ms. Heather Hitchens, Executive Director of NYSCA

Arana J. Hankins, Assistant Secretary for Cultural & Economic Development Office of the NYS Govenor David A. Paterson

Kathleen Hughes, NYC Dept. of Cultural Affairs Assistant Commissioner

NYS Assemblyman Darryl C. Towns, 54th District, Chair, Black Puerto Rican, Hispanic & Asian Legislative Caucus

Laurie Cumbo, Founder of MoCADA

Organized by the Steering Committee of the Cultural Equity Group:

  • Amerinda Inc., American Indian Artists
  • Asian American Arts Centre
  • Association of Hispanic Arts
  • The Bronx Council on the Arts
  • Caribbean Cultural Center African Diaspora Institute
  • Center for Puerto Rican Studies at Hunter College
  • The Children's Art Carnival
  • The Harlem Arts Alliance.
  • International Museum of African American Cinema
  • The Malcolm X & Dr. Betty Shabazz Center Memorial and Educational Center
  • Museum of Contemporary African Diasporan Arts (MoCADA)
  • Northern Manhattan Arts Alliance
  • Nuyorican School Original Poetry Jazz Ensemble, Inc.

Please RSVP to [log in to unmask] or call 212.876.1242

MoneyMoneyMoneyMoney

Dear Artists, Cultural Activists and People concerned about the community:

We have certainly brought in 2008 with a burst of energy and excitement filled with opportunity and hope for the future! We applaud everyone for their dedication and hard work to preserve and landmark our institutions and culture, which will have an instrumental impact on the quality of life for our communities as well as for future generations.  In order to make an impact we must continue to educate ourselves about the funding process.

We need your voice to be heard and we would appreciate your support in sending this email far and wide to your perspective communities in order to demonstrate to our legislators that our culture is important to the cultural landscape of New York City. Please do not continue to allow the challenges of our community to fall on the shoulders of a few because we need everyone in order to create an impact.

The Cultural Equity Group (CEG) cordially invites you to attend a very important Town Hall Meeting on Friday, May 9th, 6:00pm at Hunter College (68th & Lexington Avenue) 7th Fl., Hall 714, West Building, to discuss three very important issues that will impact our community:

1. Sustaining our artists, arts organizations and cultural institutions of color during the current "recession" and new stricter budget reforms;

2. Defining a new per capita funding model based on the ethnic and racial demographics of New York City-a more realistic support process, which would impact communities that are underserved;

3. Exploring recommendations, strategies and policies for cultural equity.

Your participation is important! It will help define New York City's Cultural policy of the future. Sample copies of letters to be sent to your elected officials will be distributed at the meeting. There will also be a petition for you to sign.

Please make every effort to attend. You can RSVP at  [log in to unmask] or call 212.876.1242. Thanking you in advance for remaining unified in our commitment to Cultural Equity for our artists and the communities we serve.

Very truly yours,

Steering Committee
Cultural Equity Group

It is the goal of the Steering Committee to have a transparent approach to all of the work that we do on behalf of the organization. This is a brief update, however, there is more information below.  Since our first meeting at City Hall on January 9th, 2008, the CEG Movement has created quite a buzz in the art world and is gaining momentum and membership. Below are a list of the events that have been hosted on behalf of CEG by the Steering Committee.

THE CULTURAL EQUITY GROUP TIMELINE

January 9th, 2008 - Black, Latino, Asian and Native American Arts organizations gathered at City Hall to present before the New York City Council Black, Latino and Asian Caucus.  The purpose of the meeting was to inform the Caucus of the challenges that institutions of color are experiencing in sustaining their organizations under the current funding structures. Participating organizations had an opportunity to testify before City Council members, which was a major educational process for all of those in attendance.  CEG received press coverage on NY1 News, News 12, The Brooklyn Papers and several other local media outlets.

Towns and MartaFebruary 12, 2008 - Over 40 members of the CEG movement chartered a bus to Albany to meet with over 20 State Senate and State Assembly Members, which included Assemblyman Darryl Towns, Chair of the Black & Puerto Rican Caucus, Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver and The Ways and Means Committee. CEG presented proposals to each of the Members and presented the benefits of institutions of color to the cultural vibrancy of New York State. A follow-up proposal was sent to the Black & Puerto Rican Caucus.  Additional letters were also sent to Governor Patterson offering the full support of CEG and congratulating him on his new position.

wordFebruary 16, 2008 - CEG returned to Albany for the Black and Puerto Rican Caucus in Albany and hosted an informational forum entitled: LANDMARKING OUR COMMUNITIES: A Workshop on New Initiatives to Sustain Cultural Diversity Across New York State, Sponsored by Hon. Bill Perkins, Hon. Jose` M. Serrano and Hon. Letitia James.  This was an amazing panel that was well attended by the arts and cultural committee as well as the elected officials on the Congressional, State and City levels.  This forum gave CEG an opportunity to discuss the relevance of this organization and the specific needs of institutions of color.

NYSCAFebruary 22, 2008 - The Cultural Equity Group met at the New York State Council for the Arts with the new Chairwoman Mary Schmidt Campbell and the Executive Director Heather Hitchens to discuss the needs of the institutions of color that specifically serve our communities. It was recommended that we make recommendations for panelists to represent  the disciplines that NYSCA funds. If you have suggestions, please email [log in to unmask]. We also discussed the importance of having all of NYSCA reflect the diversity and equity seen within the Special Arts Service Program, Chaired by Helen Cash Jackson.

Recchia February 28th, 2008 - The Cultural Equity Group met with Councilman Recchia and Councilwoman James in order to give Councilman Recchia a greater understanding of the goals and objectives of the Cultural Equity Group.  At this meeting, we discussed the need for:

* technical assistance in filling out the forms issued by DCA,

* legislation to have local cultural institutions and businesses included in development plans that receive city and state tax incentives,

* greater transparency in the panel and distribution process,

* The importance of having the DCA budget (capital and expense) better reflect the demographics of New York City.

An important point raised during our meeting was that the City of New York is home to a wide diversity of cultural institutions that serve an international population of communities that reside within and are visitors to New York City.  The call of the CEG organizations is that all receive recognition for their contribution to the City.  To date, communities of color and their organizations have been under resourced.  It is the objective of the CEGs as expressed in this proposal, to "landmark" the pioneering institutions of color that have contributed historically to the cultural life of the City.  Also to assure that those mid-level and emerging institutions and artists are provided the necessary opportunity to grow and contribute to the ethnic and cultural diversity of the City.

For more information on the Cultural Equity Group Movement, please contact:

Caribbean Cultural Center African Diaspora Institute

408 West 58th Street
New York NY 10019

Tel: Tel: 212-307-7420    Fax: 212-315-1086

[log in to unmask]&a=1102041578055&id=preview&id=preview" target="_blank">F

For more information on Centro Events, please visit http://centropr.org/events/index.html or call (212)772-5714.

**************************************************************************************** <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> If you wish to unsubscribe from the CENTROEVENTS-L List, please send an E-mail to:"[log in to unmask]". Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF CENTROEVENTS-L".