December 15, 2008

Greetings,

My name is Dr. Jabbar Bennett and Im writing to tell you about a new and exciting summer research opportunity at Brigham and Womens Hospital (BWH) and Harvard Medical School for your underrepresented minority (URM) undergraduate juniors and seniors or first year medical students.  The Office for Multicultural Faculty Careers at BWH is recruiting its inaugural cohort of scholars to participate in the Summer Training in Academic Research and Scholarship (STARS) Program.

Briefly, students are invited to join us for 8 weeks to engage in basic, clinical or translational research projects under the supervision of BWH and Harvard Medical School faculty advisors.  At the end of the 8 weeks students will share their findings during a program ending research presentation day.

As well as conducting laboratory research, students will also receive professional development training, meet faculty from across the hospital and medical school, and participate in social networking events.

The BWH STARS Program will cover students travel costs to and from Boston , provide housing free of charge, and give them a stipend for the summer.

This is a great opportunity for your students to train in the Harvard Medical School environment.  Please review the attached brochure and visit the program website at www.brighamandwomens.org/cfdd/omc/stars.aspx for more information and to download an application.  The application deadline is Monday, February 9, 2009 and students will be notified of their selection by Monday, March 16, 2009.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions at [log in to unmask] or call (617) 525-9324.

We look forward to hearing from you and your students.

Jabbar R. Bennett, PhD

Lecturer on Medicine, Harvard Medical School

Director, BWH STARS Program

2009 BWH STARS Program Overview

Eligibility Requirements

The applicant must:

Program Details

Duration

8 weeks (June 15 August 6, 2009)

Participants

6 10 URM undergraduate juniors and seniors, and 1st year medical students

Housing

Included (Vanderbilt Hall, Harvard University Student Residence Housing)

Travel

Included (To and from Boston )

Stipend

$3200

Learning Materials

Included

Program Components

Advising

Clinical Shadowing (Optional)

Community Building Social Networking

Laboratory Research

Reflections Professional Development

Research 101 Instruction

Roundtable

---

Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Health Professions/Premedical Advisor & Term Assistant Professor of Biology
Assistant Coordinator, Undergraduate-Faculty Apprenticeship Program
George Mason University

Office address: 209 Science & Technology I
Advising website: http://prehealth.gmu.edu/
NAAHP #3871, AAMC #12630509
This email may contain confidential or privileged information. If you believe you have received this message in error, please notify me immediately with a reply email and delete the message.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> If you wish to unsubscribe from the PREMEDINFO-L List, please send an E-mail to:"[log in to unmask]". Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF PREMEDINFO-L".