_____

From: Mary Carol Jennings [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 4:17 PM
To: Race, Ethnicity and Culture in Health
Subject: [rec_in_health] AMSA seeks AIDS Advocacy Organizer for summer
session

-- Call for Applicants for AMSA AIDS Advocacy Organizer, summer position --

You've heard the stories from the 08 bird-dogging trail. You've set up your
email so you get google alerts for new global health developments. You've
been inspired to tears (or fainting) over Dr. Paul Farmer's speeches at AMSA
conventions.

Perhaps you're feeling called by these experiences to practice medicine in
the global health field.

And you want to do something now - before you're a doctor - to benefit the
millions of patients worldwide who don't have access to basic health and
health care.

AMSA is recruiting for an AIDS Advocacy Organizer, a new volunteer position
that our Board has decided is so important that it should be funded with a
travel and organizing budget. Three positions will be available throughout
the coming year: Summer, Fall and Spring.
The person selected will be offered free housing at the AMSA house in
Reston, and will work at the AMSA office with AMSA's national issue-based
fellows and with AMSA global health partners in DC.

Highly qualified applicants should have a good basis of knowledge about US
global health initiatives and the impact of global poverty and disease on
our world's health care system.

The specific tasks that AMSA's membership wants this Organizer to accomplish
will revolve around a Government Accountability Campaign, in relation to the
implementation of the new programs and laws passed by the US Global AIDS
Initiative (PEPFAR) last summer.

Congress and the last President used PEPFAR to set a number of deadlines for
US government bodies to create programs, to issue reports, and to meet
certain global health criteria. But things are really busy in DC these days,
and we need to create strong public oversight and pressure from the
community to make sure we are meeting these legal commitments to patients
around the world.

AMSA's AIDS Advocacy Organizer will work closely with our AIDS Advocacy
Network Steering Committee to research the timelines and deadlines passed
into law by PEPFAR; will correlate these into a work plan that incorporates
other projects of the Global Fund and other USAID projects; and will work
with the global health community as well as with staffers in key
Congressional Committees to create the public oversight we need to keep the
implementation of these programs a priority for our elected officials and
government bodies.
The Organizer will also have the opportunity to take on domestic HIV/AIDS
legislative work in the form of building input into the Ryan White program
reauthorization on the Congressional docket for this summer.

Contact Mary Carol Jennings, immediate past Jack Rutledge Legislative
Director for AMSA and member of the AIDS Advocacy Network Steering
Committee, to apply.

Application will include:
1. writing sample
2. cover letter describing your global health experience and interests
3. resume/CV (please note that standardized test scores and grades are not
pertinent to this position)

In solidarity,
Mary Carol, for AMSA's AAN SC

--
Mary Carol Jennings
864.992.3391

---

You are currently subscribed to rec_in_health as:

To unsubscribe click here:
http://amsaweb01.rd.net:81/u?id=3710723.072f03b8218cafc28df5d75829e2d1f2
<http://amsaweb01.rd.net:81/u?id=3710723.072f03b8218cafc28df5d75829e2d1f2&n=
T&l=rec_in_health&o=616601> &n=T&l=rec_in_health&o=616601

or send a blank email to

If you wish to unsubscribe from the PREMEDINFO-L List, please send an E-mail to:"[log in to unmask]".  Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF PREMEDINFO-L".