It has come to my attention that many applicants this year are sending
supplemental letters of recommendation to medical schools.  This is foolish
and will ultimately harm your application!  Medical schools are already
complaining about how many letters they are getting and the service just
opened up in June!  Please let me assure you that if you have letters in
your file with us we are sending those letters to the schools.  Sometimes we
send the complete letter -sometimes, especially if the letter is long on the
author and what their project/program looks like and short on you and your
accomplishments, we quote from the letter and don't send the entire letter
as part of your Committee package.  We have several people on the Committee
who have served on medical school admissions committees (including myself)
and we are all very knowledgeable about what "works".  You should not "pad"
our letter with additional reams of paper from others who in all probability
will say exactly what three or four others have already said about you.
This is NOT the time to show off how many influencial people you may know.
It is a time to get some solid advise from those who have been doing this
successfully for more years than most of you have graced the Earth!

Please, I do not want admissions officers calling me and asking why Mr. So
and So has 14 additional letters!  IF you have some additional letters that
you feel will make you a stronger candidate PLEASE send them to your
Committee letter writer (or to Woldine if your letter is already completed)
and be assured that the entire Committee reviews, offers constructive
criticism, and oversees any oversights or errors that any one of us who
write your letters might make.

Thank you so much.  If you have questions or concerns feel free to contact
me.

L.Wood-Hill
Director, Prehealth Professions Advising Programs
Hunter College of CUNY
695 Park Ave, E812
NY, NY 10065
212-772-5121
FAX: 212-772-5138
http://studentservices.hunter.cuny.edu/prehealth.htm

Join the premedinfo-L listserv!

http://hunter.listserv.cuny.edu

If you wish to unsubscribe from the PREMEDINFO-L List, please send an E-mail to:"[log in to unmask]".  Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF PREMEDINFO-L".